Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Fishy Tales

Okay, last night I decided to cook a truly healthy meal. I worked very hard on preparing it, and was quite proud that dinner was ready by 6 o'clock sharp. We all sit down around the table. I had prepared terriaki salmon, rice pilaf, homemade rolls, and an awesome green leaf salad. We sit down and I tell the kids we are eating fish for dinner. Logan erupts with a million question. He asks where the fish head is? What happened to the tail? What about the skin? So we proceed to explain things to him, that these are not like the fish he catches in the pond. He still is concerned, so Shelby, being the wonderful ex plainer that he is, tells him"Basically Logan, the fisherman catch the fish, put it on a box, and take a huge knife and cut its head off and its tail off, and we eat the middle." The look on his face was priceless. Did not have the camera ready for that one. Then we get into how cows are hamburgers, etc, etc. So, the bottom line is that the kids hated my salmon, Shelby said he had to force it down, and hey, it was okay. I am not totally into fish, and salmon isn't my fave, but I tried. The kids are whining that they do not want to eat, so I say, lets call Grandma. I so thought mom would have my back, due to the fact she is all into healthy eating. Logan calls, and she tells him "No baby, you don't have to eat it. You just get some ice-cream and candy instead." HUH? That was not my childhood. Needless to say, at that point I lost. The kids did not eat dinner. When asked them what they thought of dinner Logan said, with his thumb pointed down, No good mom, thumbs down. Rylan followed by placing her thumbs up, but saying, yucky mommy, thumbs down. And Shelby, well, he's Shelby. Gotta love him! :)Madi sure wanted some!!

3 comments:

Jim said...

How could you torture poor loveable Rylan! Pastor

Heidi said...

Standing and applauding your efforts!!! :)

The Ousdahls said...

Well Jen, you get 2 thumbs up for effort!!! I LOVED reading Shelby's explanation to Logan about the fish heads and tails...I can so hear him saying this and the tone he would use, that I was laughing!!

Much Love,

Melissa